“REALITY: In life we create our own opportunities, objectively or subjectively… knowingly or unknowingly. Maximising those opportunities is another ball game on its own, irrespectively.”
Allow me to share some thoughts with you, and I’ll keep it simple. We all have needs and desires. We dream, pray and wait for opportunities that will get us started or improve future chances. In my opinion, this is absolutely valid and a worthy occupation. It keeps you alive. But then, there are delays.
Let’s do a quick exercise. Think about where you are currently in life in terms of what matters to you the most, or what has been of the greatest challenge to you. Now, appraising that unwanted state that you are presently, or the seeming delay you are experiencing currently, and with the benefit of hindsight, ask yourself: what would you do differently if you knew you would be at this exact point…
1 year ago? 2 years ago? 3 years ago? 5 years ago? 10 years ago?
If you had this fore-knowledge before now, what would change in…
- How you did things?
- What you did?
- Opportunities you could have explored?
- Projects you’d have started?
- Things you could have read…or said…?
Well, whatever your thoughts are, that is not where I’m headed. Now take a reverse turn…well, sorta…and project into the next 1, 2, 3, 5 or even 10 years ahead of you. And now…no, I’m not going to ask you to write goals or your dreams or aspirations of where you want to be, no. It’s an overkill at this point…simply ask yourself:
WHAT IF NOTHING CHANGES FROM NOW?
What if you are given a fore knowledge of the future and the future says some of the opportunities you are waiting for will still stay delayed?
- That long awaited job you hope will get you started in life?
- That small cash you just need to pursue that opportunity?
Nope! The future didn’t say the opportunities won’t come…it only says they’ll still be pending for the next 12 months or more.
Okay now that we have cleared that, my question to you is WHAT WILL YOU DO WHILE YOU WAIT?
- What will change in your approach for the next days before the opportunity finally shows up?
- What will you start doing?
- How do you intend to survive before that time?
- What will you do now to improve your chances when the time shows up?
- What will you do to mitigate your threats…like age disadvantage…when that opportunity finally shows up?
Wait!!!! But what if…WHAT IF, SADLY, THE FUTURE SAYS THAT PARTICULAR OPPORTUNITY WILL NEVER COME? That money, that job, that connection…it will NEVER come so stop waiting and move on to something else?
Question: WHAT WILL BE YOUR NEXT MOVE?
Answer: Whatever your answer…that is your future!!!