You need an information to know or identify and Communication to change. But both go together. Communication influences your action towards information and tells you a message. This message is often saying ‘you need to change your knowledge (through communications) because new, changed or updated information says so’.
Let’s look at how information influence the behavior of the people if it’s properly communicated. This year, South Sudanese government said it would held a general elections despite the country’s conflict. The government didn’t consider how its country’s political, social and economic status would influence its move to carry out the elections simply because it (the government) generated a piece of information not communication hence it didn’t happen.
Secondly, without proper communications to citizens, South Sudan government expanded its 10 states to 28. This information in contrary has been condemned by many in the country including the international community. The states were announced at a time citizens have no idea of what’s going to happen. The media using effective communication strategies somehow didn’t propose or oppose the information because of it’s independence and now the idea has loopholes until communication is required to make it objective.
Why you should Focus on Communication than Information?
Communication is active interaction while information is an isolated action. It is the transmission of a message from a sender to a receiver; the content of the message refers to “objective” facts and it codified independently from the human relationship between the informer and the informed. The whole message is codified through a conventional system of sign and composition rules. The message is sent intentionally by the sender who expects an obtainable result.
Information is either static or, as the name suggests, informative. If you want to learn about your employee’s or citizen’s conditions because you want to apply for a certain type of development in your organization or country, then you might search for that type of information. Communication becomes ineffective when there is a lack of information.
Journalists as well media professionals have great impacts on development especially in conflicted countries. They communicate rather than inform audiences. They clearly communicate information to people and effectively publish what people say in order for development actors to plan their development activities.
Try this Communication Schemes for a positive Change.
It has become fashionable to say that our present era is an information age, but that’s not quite right. In truth, we live in a communication age because information becomes objective if well communicated. consider the following;-
- Message: The view people hold of you is a combination of those representations and the messages others disseminated about. In short, your image is the summation of the messages it and others send about it. The articulation is the way we state a message—its voice, tone, and style. Together, content and articulation combine to create a complete message. Effective messages are clear and consistent.
- Clarity: Your words that make up its facts and persuasions should be part of common, everyday language. Sentences are simple, straightforward, and for the most part declarative. Language is active not passive. A clear message does not rely on technical or bureaucratic jargon. It contains only the information a recipient needs to understand its main point. Everything in it can be understood with one, very quick reading. A clear message has one main point. If you have two equally important points that need to be communicated, you probably need to send two messages.
- Consistency: A prospect who is confused about what an organization does or why it does it is not likely to support that organization. Messages need to be consistent on two levels. First, for example, everything in a fund-raising message must be consistent with every other message that you send. Secondly, your messages in a fund-raising must be consistent in their arguments for support.
- Recipients: One question you should ask yourself over and over again is that who do I want to influence? Remember, no part of a development communications strategy is more important than determining who will be the recipients of your messages.
- Personality: Something to think about, how can you use testimonials, guarantees, or examples to effectively communicate with a Supporter that you know? The person with a Supporter communication style typically has a low key personality and is calm, cool and collected. He or she tends to be patient, well balanced and happily reconciled with life.