Apply for the Atlas Corps: Nicaragua Professional Development Initiative
Applications are now closed. For other Leadership Development Opportunities, please visit apply.atlascorps.org.
(Si prefiere revisar esta información en español, haga clic aquí.)
The Atlas Corps: Nicaragua Professional Development Initiative is looking to engage 10 talented social impact professionals from Nicaragua in the Virtual Leadership Institute. The goals of this initiative are: 1) to equip Nicaraguan social impact professionals with leadership skills, and 2) to strengthen ties between the United States and Nicaragua toward economic development and inclusive prosperity in Nicaragua.
The Atlas Corps Virtual Leadership Institute is an online learning community based on our established leadership development curriculum for global social impact professionals. Participants, known as Atlas Corps Scholars, enhance their professional skills, build their global networks, and support their communities.
The Virtual Leadership Institute takes place over five months of online engagement and consists of five learning modules: Orientation, Developing Self, Developing Others, Leading Organizations, and Reflection.
During the program, Scholars will:
- Be trained to effectively implement initiatives that promote inclusive prosperity in Nicaragua by increasing access to entrepreneurship and/or economic development opportunities for women, youth, rural populations, and/or other minority groups;
- Come away with broader perspectives through intercultural exchange, exercises in inclusion, and self-reflection;
- Connect with other social impact professionals — Nicaraguan, American, and global — whose influence, ideas, or support can contribute to the capacity of the participants and their organizations to promote entrepreneurship and foster economic development and inclusive prosperity in Nicaragua, and strengthen ties between American and Nicaraguan individuals and organizations.
Virtual Leadership Institute activities include:
- Interactive Workshops: monthly virtual workshops designed and facilitated by talented professionals in the social impact sector;
- Self-Led Activities: a series of virtual activities focusing on cultivating emotional intelligence, navigating cognitive bias, motivating others, team conflict resolution, storytelling for social impact, and partnership-building, among others;
- Peer Coaching Groups: a small group collaboration guided by trained coaches;
- Community Projects: a participant-developed project to advance a personal or community-based activity with the possibility of applying for up to $1000 to support its implementation;
- Networking and Intercultural Exchange: connect with other Nicaraguans and professionals from around the world for increased mutual understanding across borders.
Scholars will design and implement community projects, which can be an activity, training session, and/or venture that works toward inclusive prosperity by increasing access to entrepreneurship and/or economic development opportunities for women, youth, rural populations, and/or other minority groups. Scholars will be encouraged to work collaboratively on their projects. A Community Impact Fund will be established to support the implementation of the most promising projects.
Who would benefit from this program?
This program is best suited for professionals who seek structured leadership development, have a passion for social impact, and are interested in making international connections. We encourage NGO professionals, independent business people, and graduate students to apply for this opportunity.
— Engagement in approximately 100 hours of FREE professional development training that will enhance your knowledge, skills, and abilities;
— Peer coaching and eligibility for funding to develop your community project;
— Publicity on Atlas Corps external communication channels;
— Access to additional Atlas Corps trainings and opportunities;
— Lifetime enrollment in the global Atlas Corps Community (of 1,500+ social impact professionals from 115 countries) upon successful completion.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
— Be a citizen of Nicaragua;
— Be a resident of Nicaragua;
— Be aged 22-35 years old;
— Possess a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
— Be proficient in English (oral, writing, reading);
— Have two or more years of full-time professional experience working to generate positive impact, preferably in areas related to entrepreneurship, economic development, and/or inclusive economic growth;
— Be committed to applying the knowledge gained to multiple the impact of their Atlas Corps experience in Nicaragua;
— Be available to commit to approximately 3 hours of online activity and assignments per week for approximately 4 months; and;
— Have the technological capacity to participate in video calls which may be during working hours (1-2 per month.)
Applicants must fill out this shortened application form to be considered for this opportunity. Please note that applicants must provide contact information for a professional or academic reference. We will reach out to the recommenders of shortlisted applicants only to request references in English or Spanish.
Please note that this application form is not for the Atlas Corps Fellowship. If you’re interested in applying for the Atlas Corps Fellowship separately, please visit apply.atlascorps.org.
Atlas Corps is committed to the principles of diversity, inclusion, equity, and accessibility.
We anticipate notifying selected candidates in December and launching this initiative in March 2023.